Join our team who respond to planning applications that impact our green spaces and rural communities. Planning volunteers engage with the local planning system and campaign on local planning issues to influence how Bedfordshire’s countryside and rural communities are developed.
Various locations: – Bedford & North Bedfordshire / Luton / Central Bedfordshire
What is this role?
We are recruiting Planning Volunteers to expand our team who respond to planning applications that impact our green spaces and rural communities. At CPRE Bedfordshire, a small team of volunteers engage with the local planning system and campaign on local planning issues to influence how Bedfordshire’s countryside and rural communities are developed.
What’s in it for me?
- Play an important part in the protection of your local area
- Gain personal satisfaction from making a difference to the future of Bedfordshire’s towns, villages and countryside.
- Know your support is making a fantastic contribution to the English countryside and the environment.
- Become part of a friendly and capable team, meeting like-minded people and making friends.
- Improve your knowledge of our local planning system and being part of the democratic process.
- Learn new skills – or develop current ones and build your CV.
- You will also have opportunities to get involved in wider CPRE campaigns and events as a part of its volunteer network.
Our planning work is varied and largely desk-based, and depends on the nature of planning applications or issues at any time. This could include: –
- reviewing plans, applications and other consultations on the internet
- drafting response letters to the local planning authority, and assisting in the preparation of responses to wider consultations, including planning appeals
- researching planning policy and best practice
- highlighting the local angle to some of CPRE national office’s campaigns, which have included light pollution, green belt protection, litter and planning reform.
- Occasionally the role may involve visiting sites, plus meetings with other CPRE planning volunteers, parish councillors, local residents or other organisations.
This role will suit you if…
you have a keen interest in the protection of our countryside, alongside some experience of campaigning or local planning issues. This may be through your role as a parish councillor, from your involvement in a neighbourhood plan or a community campaign.
We also hope that you can offer us most of the following qualities:
- a strong interest in the countryside
- an interest in investigative work, good research skills and an eye for detail
- the ability to make sense of complex issues and information
- good communication skills – written and verbal
- computer literate – the internet, e-mail and MS Word or equivalent
Place: You will have the option to work either from home or from our Bedford office. If working at home you will need access to a computer and the internet.
Time commitment: Varies but typically 2-3 hours a week on a flexible basis
Training: Training will be provided and you will have a mentor who is a more experienced Planning Volunteer to support you. You will also be given support in your role as a CPRE volunteer, including an induction at our national office in London.
Expenses: The role is voluntary although we will pay all out-of-pocket expenses with prior agreement, in line with our Volunteers Policy.
To apply for this volunteer role, please email us with some information about yourself, including why you would be interested in joining our planning team. Please also contact us if you would like to find out more about this role. To apply or for more information, please contact Lois on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01234 880624